November 14, 2007

Radio: Becker Europa TG

Though we have truly not had much chance to work on the wood or leather any further (due to work pressures) I have made one significant addition to the project: I have acquired a working Becker Europa TG radio, the model that originally came with the car.

This was a fairly expensive optional extra, and I have never seen one in South Africa with original radio fitted (on the other hand, I almost never see fintails in the first place...). The radio is beautiful, over-the-top retro, and quite feature-rich: Station presets, and support for FM/AM and short-wave. It's a large, heavy (3kg) device, all metal, glass and tubes. Just another part of this car that is so wonderfully different to modern cars.

When the time comes nearer, I will have to find a suitable (original or other) speaker unit to hook up to the radio, and figure out in general how to get it working (RadioMuseum seems to be a useful resource). This radio is nothing like contemporary car radios - there are no friendly colour-coded or shaped plugs or labels on the rear, everything has to be soldered.

I have not taken pictures of the unit yet, will do so (and post them) once available. If anybody has further information regarding the general connection of this device, and a speaker, please give me a shout!

No comments: